Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Spring forward.....into jet lag

Well, here I am for the second time.

I don't know about anyone else, but this time change thing has hit me like a ton of bricks. I feel sleep-deprived and cranky, but it's only a one hour difference! So why do I feel like I've just flown across an ocean the wrong way??? I'm kind of over this daylight savings thing - we "fell back" in November and now we did the "spring forward" before Spring actually starts. Why can't we be like Arizona and just stay the same all year?
Oh, well - enough venting.

I have to admit that in addition to knitting, I'm also addicted to watching TV. Because I can knit while I'm doing it. Anyway, last night I watched one of my favorites, "Two and a Half Men" and Charlie proposed to his girlfriend by putting the ring in her glass of champagne while her head was turned. So she, since this is a comedy, turned back to the table and immediately chugged all the champagne- ring and all. I think someone actually did this a few weeks ago, only in a milkshake or something. My question is this: why do guys think this is romantic? It's a recipe for disaster! Years ago, when I lived in Italy, my friend Carla went out to dinner with her boyfriend Claudio. Claudio had gone to the restaurant earlier in the day and had them put the ring in a little dessert cake so he could pop the question later in the evening. (Obviously this was a restaurant they frequented often - if you try this at a new place you run the risk of being served your cake ringless because the guy you gave it to promptly ran to the closest pawn shop.) Anyway, dessert time came and the waiter presented Carla with her very own little cake. She took a couple of bites, bit down hard on the ring, broke a tooth in the process, started coughing, and spit both the tooth and the ring out. Murphy's law, being an international law, took over and the ring rolled across the floor and down a heating vent. Carla's eyes were watering from the coughing and the pain of the broken tooth, which caused her makeup to run, and she never even saw the ring before it disappeared. Claudio wound up paying for dinner, Carla's visit to the dentist, and for someone to come and root around in the pipes of the heating system to find the ring. They went ahead and got married a few months later but I have no idea if they're still together because Claudio never forgave me for laughing about the whole thing and making sure all our friends knew about it and Carla, being a good new wife, agreed when he banned me from their lives. The point here is: forget trying for a unique method of giving her the ring - just give it to her! If a guy wants to do something romantic he should take her away to a five-star resort for the honeymoon and make sure she gets pampered.

Tonight is the beinning of the Final 13 on American Idol. American Idol is another addiction - it started as a guilty pleasure a couple of years ago but quickly attained addiction status. So for the next three months, expect to hear my opinions about who sang what and how, and if America voted correctly. My prediction is that Jasmine will be the first to go - she's just not that good and has never lived up to my expectations.

Now for the knitting update: the baby blanket is now officially on hold waiting for more leftover yarn. So I will switch to my second blanket-in-progress - this one is being made entirely of novelty yarns. Leftovers of course. I get all these leftovers from scarves, but that's a subject for another day.

That's it for today. I hope you've enjoyed spending some time with me.

Sarah

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah,

    I'm very impressed that you think about your "blogging goals". Maybe my posts would be more structured if I did that. Hmm. One tip I can pass on is to try to include a photo in each post. Readers tend to be attracted by the pretty pictures and if you're talking about your knitting it's really nice to be able to see the project that you're describing.

    Happy blogging

    Liz

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences with me. Let's start a conversation!