Thursday, March 26, 2009

Getting it Done

In case you're wondering - my title today refers to two things: my Spring Break project and Adam on American Idol.

I'm back from my day of gambling. Didn't win big, but didn't lose big either (which is always a plus). I was hoping the universe or karma or whatever would reward my good work this week with a jackpot or two, but no such luck. It was nice to get out of town for a few hours, spend some time with friends, and have some mindless fun sitting in front of various slot machines.

After I got back home, I even did a little more work organizing my hobby room. My plan for today is to get the stuff that's still in my bedroom, but shouldn't be, out of said bedroom and into the other room. I'll (hopefully) get it all put away where it needs to be in there and then I'll be finished (pretty much) with this project. Yay for me!

So, after getting back home yesterday I fed the dogs, looked at the mail, threw out the mail , read the obituaries in the newspaper to see if anyone I know died (a weird habit, I know, but...it's what I do), checked the weather (both in the paper and on the Weather Channel), checked my email (no comments submitted to this blog - bummer), took my shower, got into my jammies, and settled in for American Idol Motown Edition.

Before I get to AI, I have to talk about the weather. I also watched the late news for a weather update. Supposedly we're in for a big spring storm beginning late today and continuing into tomorrow. It's an Albuquerque Low Storm, which those of us in this area all know means "Sucks to be us". Because of our location, most storms either don't get here or pass over us, which is nice, but when it comes in from the southeast it usually gets here and stays here for awhile and dumps a bunch of snow. We're so dry I know we need the moisture, but why does it have to be snow? I hate snow. I wish it would just rain for a few days instead. There is some hope, though - one of the weather guys on TV said that if the wind switches from the southeast to the north early enough, the storm might not get here. We'll see.

Now for AI: I have to say again - I love Motown Week. I know they do it every year, but so what? It's still good music and there's such a variety there's no reason each singer can't find a song that's really good for their style. But, as usual, a few managed to screw it up. It's one of the reasons I watch the show. Mean, but true. I do have to tell you that I'm disapointed nobody sang "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" which is like the best Motown song ever.

Matt was first with "Let's Get it On" and when I heard that my first reaction was "UH OH" because there's potential for disaster with that one. But he did a great job and there's no doubt he'll be around for awhile. Then there was Kris and "How Sweet It Is" which I liked at the time but now I can't hardly remember it. It was good, just not something that sticks in my head.
Scott did "You Can't Hurry Love" and it just reinforced my opinion that he needs to get a job as a lounge singer somewhere. Truthfully, I was hoping he'd surprise us all and do something like "Psychedelic Shack". Plus he had on pink pants. Yes, pink. I know he's blind, so is this somebody's idea of a joke? Whoever gave him those should be ashamed of themselves - dressing a blind guy in pink pants. That's just wrong. Then there was Megan. It was one of those good news/bad news situations: Good news - she looked fabulous and I loved her hair. Her eyeliner matched her dress which matched her tattoo. Bad news - she sucked. She did "For Once in My Life" and for once in my life I didn't want to be watching. It was just embarrassing. I wish she had chosen...well, pretty much anything else. It was like she was yelling at me the whole time. She should probably start getting her stuff out of that cool mansion they're all living in. Anoop did OK with "Ooh, Baby, Baby" but I still have to listen with my eyes closed because he just doesn't look like an Idol. Michael had fun with "Ain't Too Proud to Beg". He better not be too proud to beg for another chance, because it wasn't very good. I will say that he is obviously enjoying himself and having a lot of fun, and he probably realizes (as Simon told him) that he has no chance of winning this thing. So why not have some fun? Then there was Lil, who I just knew would do something really awesome. Just like I knew that one slot machine yesterday was going to pay off big time. Both of them disappointed me. She sang (loudly) "Heat Wave". I'm sure she's safe, but still. Her earrings were cool, though. And then there was Adam. Oh, my. I saw him with his slicked back hair and suit, and thought "What?", but then he sat there and sang "Tracks of my Tears" and just blew me (and the competition) away totally. Who knew he had that in him? Not me - I had him pegged for rocker all the way. Wow. It gave me goosebumps. Danny was next ( and you know he was thinking "Crap - I have to follow that?") but I liked the way he did "Get Ready". The judges gave him a hard time, but he was enthusiastic and had a good time with a fun song. Not bad at all. Allison ended the night with "Papa was a Rolling Stone" and she was awesome. I've said it before, I know, but she may be sixteen but her voice is way older than that. She still dresses like a sixteen year old, though.

I finally got smart and quit trying to write down the vote number and just programmed it into my cell phone. Then I only have to change the last number each week, depending on when Adam sings. Yes, I voted for Adam. And I'll vote for Adam until the end of the season. Or until my phone breaks.

I think the dynamic has changed. A few weeks ago it seemed as if Lil, Danny, and Adam were on track to finish in that order. Now it's going to be Adam and Allison at the end (in my opinion). Danny will probably finish third. Lil has disappointed me lately and she needs to get herself back to the R&B style that serves her so well. Matt is moving up. Megan, Michael, and Scott are history. Anoop and Kris are nice and will end in the middle of the pack. So there you have it - the rest of the season is laid out. Oh, and I have to mention the Carrie Underwood "horse whisperer" commercial - it's just too cute. And did anyone else notice that Kara's word of the week was "artistry"? She must have used it at least 23 times.

Gotta go. My washer finished its load and I need to get busy moving more stuff.

It's Thursday - I can't believe my week off is almost over!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sarah!

    I've been trying to post a comment for days. I've been having a h@#% of a time learning how to use my google account, as well as this blog site. I've been working on setting up my blog... not quite there yet. Anyway, I love your blog. It's SO well written and often very funny. You have a gift for writing! Break is going way to fast for my taste. I haven't done anything at home. Glad you're having a productive time. I was one huge goosebump watching Adam sing last night. Allison was also great. I, too think they will be the final two. He will win, though.
    I hope this comment comes through. Keep writing...I'll keep reading! See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences with me. Let's start a conversation!