Monday, March 9, 2009

A New Adventure

OK - here goes!
This is my very first posting to my own blog. I did some reading about blogging, starting a blog, etc., and was advised to think about my blogging goals. Hmmm, kind of hard to set goals for something totally new. I guess I just want to be able to write in small increments about all kinds of things and see what happens. The blogosphere is a whole new venue and I want to be a part of it.

I suppose I should act like I'm talking with a friend, sharing my life and thoughts. Hopefully someone will be interested! One "starting a blog" article said don't worry about what you say when you first start posting because nobody will read it anyway. This must be one of those "good news/bad news" things: The good news is that if nobody's reading I don't have to worry about sounding like a total idiot, the bad news being that I'm writing to share with others but there are no others. I guess I'll just write and hope for the best.

In this first effort, let me tell you about my family. When I talk about them later you'll know who they are. My husband is Glen: we've been married ten years, ups and downs, but we're still together so obviously there were more ups than downs. He has a degree in accounting but works as a real estate agent. Not the best field to be in these days, but we're hoping things improve soon. The accounting degree comes in handy to find out exactly how much money we're not making, I guess.
Glen and I have five children between us: two are his (boy, girl) and three are mine (all boys), but we are beyond the "yours/mine" "his/hers" labels and now just consider them "the kids".

I think I'll wait for later entries to talk about each child individually - it will give me something to talk about. :o)

Since this is called Sarah's Heartstrings and is supposed to be somewhat about knitting, let me close for today with a word about my current project. First, though, I have to be honest and tell you that I'm in no way an expert -I just like to knit. A lot. And shop for yarn - that's fun, too. I actually have about four things going, but the one I'm working on right now is a baby blanket. I'm using leftover yarn from other projects, different weights but all pastel colors. There are no shades of blue, but plenty of pink so somebody needs to get pregnant and have a girl so I can give it away when it's finished. I'm knitting on size 10 circular needles and between each color I use four rows of white yarn to separate the stripes of different colors. Some stripes are solid colors, some are varigated. It looks pretty good if I do say so myself. It's probably about halfway finished.

So that's it for my first entry - I hope someone reads and enjoys it!


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I made a stocking cap that way only it was two rows of dark blue separating the 8-row color stripes. It looked great.

    Pedantic note: Originally the word "blog" was short for "web-log", which was just a diary to log (keep track of) your progress on projects. And "log" is from ship's log, which was the book where they wrote down daily progress as measured by literally tossing a log overboard tied to a rope with knots at regular intervals, and counting how many knots went out during a minute, times 60 to get the ship's speed in knots. All of which seems perfect for knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to the Blogisphere :-)
    Cant wait to see pics of you progress/finished objects!

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences with me. Let's start a conversation!