Saturday, March 14, 2009

Happy Pi Day!

Today is March 14th, also known as Pi Day after the number Pi - which starts out 3.1415....... and literally goes on forever. I have a hard time wrapping my mind around things that go on forever: space, time, whatever. And a number that never ends - that's just mind-boggling. But that's OK because I believe we should all have our minds boggled on a regular basis. Who knows - thinking about something so outrageous that our brains have a hard time taking it in is probably good for us on some level.
We celebrate Pi Day at school, but we had to do it yesterday since there's no school today. It was fun! Our 8th grade math teacher, JoAnn (who taught my kids and is one of the best teachers ever) made us all Pi buttons to wear. She has a program that finds your birthday in Pi and that number was on the back of the button. My birthday (month, day, year) shows up after 70,351,812 numbers. WOW! How cool is that! 6th, 7th, & 8th grade students all got a little individual pie and at the end of the day they had a pie-eating contest. There was also a contest to see who could recite the most numbers of Pi - a boy named Jonas won when he recited 120 numbers correctly. I think he got an extra pie for his pi. Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
Weather-wise today is much better - warm enough to go outside without a coat and the small amout of snow we had yesterday is gone. Here's my idea of the perfect amount of snowfall for the year: it snows on Christmas Eve (after we're home from church, visiting friends, whatever), snows through the night so that we have an absolutely gorgeous white Christmas morning, and then then sun comes out, the temperature goes up, the snow melts and doesn't come back until the next Christmas Eve. Yes, I live in Colorado - home to some of the best ski areas in the world, and those ski areas (and the entire state) depend on good snow to bring in visitors. I understand that snow is necessary to the Colorado economy. But I don't live in a ski town and we don't rely on the snow so it doesn't need to come here.
On the knitting front: In my email this morning was an offer from a company I recently ordered some yarn from (arrived last week - nice yarn). They asked me to sign up for a monthly knitting (or crochet, they send two sets of instructions) kit. These kits have the yarn and instructions for a different project each month. So, sucker that I am - I signed up. Since I only knit scarves and blankets, you're probably wondering why. Me, too, actually. But here's my justification: it's only $14/month and I can probably use the yarn for one of my own projects. If not, I have knitting friends I can give it to. Plus, I do occasionally still crochet, so I might find a crochet project that interests me. The first month's kit is half-price and I can cancel at any time. So what have I got to lose? I'll keep you posted.
Have a great Pi Day - bake a pie, eat some pie, do some math problems with pi - just enjoy the day!
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences with me. Let's start a conversation!