Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Torture Me if it's Tuesday...

and it's definitely Tuesday.



Some days I honestly wonder why I bother getting out of bed. The world would keep moving along just fine if I stayed curled up under my quilt and I would spare myself the frustration of feeling like I take one step forward and two steps back, work-wise. Yes, it's been that kind of day. I know that a lot of it has to do with A.) the weather - cloudy again today (please understand that two days without the sun in Colorado is equivalent to about three months of sunless existence anywhere else - we like our blue skies and get cranky very quickly when deprived), B.) there are only 17 school days left until summer break, and C.) the carnival is coming to town and will open up tomorrow night. B & C alone would be enough to get the kids wound up but add in A with its potential to ruin carnival opening night....serious recipe for trouble.



Speaking of sunshine and Colorado, here's a true story from when my first husband (Colorado native) and I were newly wed and living in Italy. Italy is a beautiful country, but it has its share of cloudy/rainy days. At the time, I had never set foot in Colorado but I was learning plenty from my new husband. Things like: the skies are bluer in Colorado than anywhere else, the air is cleaner, life is better. Obviously we would be moving back to Colorado as soon as possible. (Which we did.) So, anyway, the Italian summer faded to autumn: the days got shorter, the weather got cooler, and the rainy season began. Where we lived, it rarely snowed but it sure did rain. Me, having lived in Italy for six years by then, I was used to it. Plus I spent my early childhood in England and then later moved to Ohio. Clouds and rain were a normal part of life. First husband - not so much. After about ten straight days of clouds with rain in various forms (mist/drizzle/steady/sideways blown by wind), he was extremely cranky. New bride that I was, I took exception to this crankiness and was told (and this is a direct quote - I still remember after all these years): "Sarah, it's not my fault. I haven't seen the sun in a week and I'll be this way until the weather gets better. I can't go for long periods without the sun - I was raised in Colorado and I'm used to the sun. We have sunshine 320 days a year and I need the sun." Two thoughts went through my mind: 1.) B***s**t, and 2.) It's a long time 'til Spring, is he going to be cranky the whole time??? (followed by thought #3 "OMG, what have I done? I'm married to this man!", but that's a whole different story). Anyway, a lot of years have passed since that conversation and I now find myself cranky if there's no sunshine for extended periods of time. And by extended, I mean two days. Seriously. You get used to it and when it's not there... let's just say I wouldn't welcome a move to Seattle. But looking back, I still think it was a BS excuse for him being cranky. And he's now my ex-husband so I'm not inclined to cut him any slack.

On to other things. By other, I mean American Idol. (It's performance night, what did you expect???) I am so looking forward to this category of songs - Rat Pack. I'm not old enough to remember the heyday of Frank, Dino, Sammy, et al, but I've heard enough of those songs to think it will be a memorable night. Dare I hope that Adam will sing "My Way" his way? It's probably too much to ask. I think there's definite trainwreck potential (Matt, Danny, maybe Allison) as well as the opportunity for someone (please let it be You Know Who) to have what they call a "moment". I also hope that all five decide to dress from that era - Allison would look beautiful in a classy cocktail dress and the guys would look spiffy in suits or even tuxes.

Here's a Tortured Tuesday Silver Lining: One of my students provided me with the most lame excuse for not working that I have ever heard: "The writing surface of this desk is too hard and it makes it too difficult for me to work on this math paper." I'm not joking - he looked me right in the eye and actually said those words. So now I have the standard by which to judge all future lame excuses for not working. If that's not a Silver Lining, I don't know what is.

Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences with me. Let's start a conversation!