Monday, April 20, 2009

Monday, Monday

Does anyone else remember this song???

It was an average day at work - not too crazy, not too slow. Steady enough to make the day go by reasonably fast. Now we only have four more Mondays until summer break.

I finally have to face something that I've been avoiding. My oldest son, Austin, will be deploying to Iraq shortly with his Colorado Air National Guard unit. I've known this was coming for a few weeks, but kept pushing it to the back of my mind because if I thought about it for more than a few minutes I got all freaked out. Well, I can't keep doing that because he now has a deployment date (sort of): sometime between May 9th and May 11th his unit will be leaving. This time frame encompasses Mother's Day - the irony overwhelms me but is probably lost on the military powers-that-be. Austin keeps telling me he'll be fine: not in Afghanistan, not doing security patrols, just working on F-16 jets at Balad AFB. I understand that it's probably relatively safe there and I realize that he's probably in more danger when he goes to college parties each weekend but....it's Iraq.

On to other things - I'm starting to freak out about it again.

Later this week I'll be in Denver for a conference. I'll work Thursday morning and then take off since it all gets started Thursday afternoon. I'll be back Saturday, probably early evening. This means I will miss seeing Jordan get ready for Prom. He's only a sophomore, but he's going with a junior girl. He's always been somewhat of an overachiever. I'll just have to give him some extra $ and make him promise to get pictures done at the dance. During my lunch break, just out of curiosity, I Googled "yarn shops" in the vicinity of my hotel and found three. They're all within about 10 minutes of where I'm staying, so I may just have to visit them. I used to be like this with book stores - now it's yarn stores. Hey, at least it's not liquor stores, right?

On the knitting front: the guy blanket is done!!! Well, except for the edge that I'm crocheting around it. But the knitting part is done, done, done!!! And get this, Hubby looked at it and wants me to give it to him so he can use it when he's watching TV or taking a nap or whatever. Bless his heart. Once I get it completely finished, I should probably start on the baby blanket for my pregnant co-worker. With my knitting project ADD it may take awhile.

Silver Lining: without Mondays, Fridays wouldn't feel so good. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences with me. Let's start a conversation!