Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Lazy...

that's me.

Two days of vacation have passed and I've done basically nothing. If we get to the middle of July and I still haven't done a darn thing, maybe then I'll feel bad but right now it feels good.



I have been doing laundry (which never ends, no matter what) and I've been visiting my friend's tanning bed so I don't arrive in Mexico looking like I should be wearing a sign that says "sunburn waiting to happen". I did book the transportation from the airport to the resort. I love arriving in Mazatlan: the airport is pretty small and usually only one plane shows up at a time so there are no long lines for immigration, baggage claim, or customs. Last year I timed it - 22 minutes from the time the plane touched down on the runway until I was out the door on my way to the resort. Much better than the 90 minutes I spent coming through immigration and customs in Houston on my way back.



Here's a story about that: I am not a US citizen, so I have a green (it's actually beige, but who cares?) card and this card was issued about 26 years ago. Keep in mind there is no requirement to renew these cards. So, I was standing in line for immigration in Houston and the guy checking my passport and immigration card says "Did you ever think about getting a new one of these?" Since I travel with it once a year, twice if I happen to be able to visit my brother in England, I gave him an honest answer, "No." "Well maybe you should", he says, kind of snottily. "Why?", I asked. "Because this one is old.", he replied, even more snottily. So I asked him, in a very polite tone, "Is it a requirement to get a new one?" "Well, no.", he says back, "but maybe you should." "Why would I get a new one if I don't have to?", I asked him. "OK", he finally said, while scribbling something on my customs form. Then I get to customs, and the agent pulls me out and says you need to go to that room over there. So I went and waited and finally another guy comes up and asks for my form. I showed it to him and he asks"What agricultural products are you carrying?" I told him that I wasn't carrying agricultural products. So he looks at my form again and says that the immigration guy wrote a notation that I needed to be checked for agricultural products. That son-of-a-b**ch wrote on my form so I'd get pulled out of the customs line!!!!! Then this customs guy asks "Are you sure you're not carrying agricultural products?" My reply, "Unless tequila is an agricultural product, no, I'm not!" "Have you been to any farms?", he asks. "I've been to the beach!", I replied. We stared at each other for a few seconds and then he says, "OK, but you still have to send all your items through this more intense scanner." At that point, I was like "Whatever" but I just said "OK". And guess what? They didn't find any damn agricultural products. Seriously, how petty is that? That's 30 minutes or so of my life totally wasted because the immigration guy got mad about my old card that has no requirement to be renewed. Please. There was enough time before my connecting flight that I could have gone back and given him a piece of my mind, except that the way it's set up you can't go back to the immigration area once you've left it. Probably a good thing, because I was good and mad.



I was checking out HBO On Demand the other day and found this show called "True Blood" about vampires living like regular people. Except, of course, they can only come out at night. Anyway, it takes place in this little town in Louisiana and it's just crazy!!!!! There's a lot of violence and sex - vampires apparantly have a big sex drive, plus everybody else in this little town seems pretty obsessed with sex, too - but parts of it are hysterically funny. It's kind of like "The Sopranos" that way - violence mixed in with totally bizzare stuff that makes you laugh. Anyway, I watched the whole first season in three days and now I can't wait for season two next month. Guilty pleasure thy name is "True Blood". Maybe I've found something to fill the void where "The Sopranos" used to be, cuz I was totally addicted to that show.



Knitting: I ripped out all of the baby blanket I was doing - the yarn was just too fine for that big a project and it was boring me to death. So I'm using two strands of the same yarn on bigger needles, so hopefully it will go faster and I won't get as bored. Plus with it being so fine, the blanket wasn't going to have much substance, if you know what I mean. I think this will work out much better.



Not much else is going on. Just a whole bunch of nothin'!

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, have a wonderful time in Mexico. I'm dying to see True Blood...don't get HBO. I think I'll buy it. There's nothing I like better than good vamp "stuff." I haven't done anything since vacation started either. It feels good not to have to. Talk to you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, I watched True Blood online several months ago and LOVED it, too! I also loved reading the TWILIGHT saga. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences with me. Let's start a conversation!