Thursday, March 19, 2009

At Last

Here I am, a woman who can shut off her alarm clock until the 30th! Things have been stressful, at work and also somewhat at home, so I'm glad Spring Break arrived before my head exploded. I think it was close, though.
No big plans, just the bedroom-switching-around I mentioned before. Got a pedicure scheduled for next Thursday afternoon in conjunction with my weekly nail appointment. One day I'm going to spend the entire day in my jammies just because I can. Oh, and a couple of friends and I are heading up to a nearby gambling town on Wednesday to try our luck. So I have some plans, just not real big ones.

My oldest son, Austin, is home from college for the weekend - this week is his break. He just got here and will stay until Sunday. Not only am I glad to see him, but he can also help with moving furniture (see previous paragraph). He and I had our differences a couple of years ago, but we're fine now. It still strikes me as odd every once in awhile that I'm having an adult relationship with someone I gave birth to. Hard to get my head around sometimes. It's like when I realized that my boys were actually turning into people instead of just little extensions of me that would do whatever I told them (mostly without fussing about it), and started when I couldn't get them to eat something-or-other just by telling them them they'd like it. It seemed impossible that they would be capable of forming their own opinions and begin exerting their will. That was an adjustment period, let me tell you! My therapist at the time said I was upset about losing my control over them. Maybe so, but it could also be attributed to me losing my anti-depressant prescription. And the awful realization that as they were getting older - so was I. I kind of pictured me staying at that nice place, nowhere near middle-age, while they grew up. None of my friends have ever admitted to having those same feelings, so I probably am kind of out there like the aforementioned sons would have me believe. But for me, out there seems to be a good thing. :o)

Alexis got kicked to the curb on American Idol!!! OMG. No tour for you, honey. That was a shocker for me - I really thought Michael was history. So, no sense of smugness for me this week. And here's what I don't think is fair: Alexis sang "Jolene", obviously not very well or she wouldn't have been the lowest-vote-getting person, so why for the love of God would you make her sing it again to see if she's worth saving? And she sounded truly awful the second time around. They should be able to sing something else in that situation so they can at least have a chance. I'm just sayin'. So now Scott the Blind Guy gets to go on the Idol tour - how's that going to work? Does he get his own bus or something? And during the group sing this week, he played the piano while everybody else danced around the stage. No drama there! I seem to have two obsessions this season: 1. Adam and 2. Waiting to see if Scott falls off the stage. Both are kind of disturbing but for (obviously) different reasons. This may be more proof of me being out there. Next week is Motown week - always one of my favorites 'cause I love Motown songs and I know all the words . Not as much train-wreck potential as country week, but more opportunity for some truly awesome performances. We have to wait an extra day to hear them, though, because the President is making a speech on Tuesday so Idol gets bumped to Wednesday and Thursday. He's been in office almost two months now - long enough to realize that he's the President and doesn't have to make speeches just on Tuesdays. Pick another night, dude! Who's going to argue with you? Also, I heard a rumor (well, I actually read it on one of the way too many AI blogs I follow) that Michael Jackson might perform sometime this season. That's just too creepy to contemplate.

As for knitting: Giving in to my hobby ADD, I put aside the "guy" blanket for a little while and started a project using "sock" yarn. I don't do socks, but I like the yarn. Not too sure how it's going to turn out yet, but it involves long strips of different types of sock yarn. Come to think of it, I don't know how most of my stuff is going to turn out when I first start. I just get them started and they seem to develop and take me where they need/want to go. It's probably a tribute to my former therapist that this doesn't bring up any control issues for me. I suppose that should make me feel better about the ginormous amount of time and money I spent in his office.

Enjoy your Friday - I'm already enjoying mine since it came on Thursday this week. :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, opinions, and experiences with me. Let's start a conversation!